Week 7 Prompt Response: Patterson

 After seeing the options for this week's prompt, I instantly knew I wanted to discuss James Patterson. His works have been a recurring topic of discussion since I entered the MLIS program and started working at my local library. For my first "real world" experience where I shadowed a reference desk around this time last year, the reference librarians I was with told me that once I'm in the library field, I'll come to hate the name "James Patterson" - he's everywhere! Their second point has proven true. At my current library, we have 2 full shelving units dedicated to Patterson books in our adult fiction section, as well as books in mysteries, nonfiction, children's, and teens. But do I "hate" him?

In one article from GQ, Patterson reported that he had 31 active projects that were in the works simultaneously, through the use of a team of cowriters (Skipper, 2023). Because Patterson is involved in the writing process, presenting outlines to his cowriters and checking in on their progress and making edits every few weeks, I would not classify his works as a literary hoax, but it feels somewhat disingenuous. Technically, Patterson follows all the rules; he does write parts of his books and formulate ideas, he credits his cowriters on the covers of his novels, and he is very honest about his process (Skipper, 2023). But still, with the quantity of material he is pumping out James Patterson could be considered a brand, rather than an author. 

I do not believe there is a universally true or correct response to James Patterson's method and business practices. On a personal level, I may not buy into the James Patterson hype, but as a future librarian I have to recognize how much his works have done; not only does he offer work to much smaller authors, but his books have gotten people to read, and provide an avenue for interested library patrons to engage with our materials.


Reference:

Skipper, C. (2023, January 3). Here’s how author James Patterson writes 31 books at the same time. GQ. https://www.gq.com/story/james-patterson-routine-exellence

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Profile

Special Topics Essay: Awards

Week 5 Prompt Response